Benefits of Hemp milk
Due to the growing popularity of plant-based milk and benefits of hemp for human health, hemp milk can be found easily in many grocery stores, online, or you can make it at home. It has an earthy, nutty flavor and creamy consistency. Although it is made from hemp seeds, hemp milk doesn’t affect the brain like cannabis, and provides various health benefits.
In this article, we will discuss its nutrition, benefits, uses, and how to use hemp milk.
Potential health benefits of hemp milk
Provide essential nutrients
Although hemp milk has fewer calories, protein and carbohydrate content as compared to cow’s milk, it has more of these ingredients than other plant-based milk options. Hemp milk is especially a complete source of protein containing both essential and non-essential amino acids, such as valine, phenylalanine, etc.
Most fat substances in hemp milk are unsaturated and healthy, such as omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. They are extremely beneficial for brain and cardiovascular health since the body can’t produce them and must obtain them from food.
Hemp milk is also a good source of minerals and vitamins, including:
- Oil-soluble vitamin, such as Vitamin A, Vitamin D
Strengthen cardiovascular health
Hemp milk is rich in arginine, which is metabolized into nitric oxide by the body. This substance helps the blood vessels relax to maintain normal blood pressure range and reduce peripheral resistance. In a clinical study to show association between consumption of arginine and blood pressure, the authors randomized 54 participants with high or normal blood pressure into placebo and group taking arginine. At the end of the stude, they found that people who take arginine for a 4-week period have lower both systolic and diastolic blood pressure. The preliminary result suggested that L-arginine could be a promising measure to improve cardiac disorders in the future .
Besides, experts found that:
- A high Linoleic acid - based diet (this fatty acid is abundant in hempseed) decreased total cholesterol by 15%, LDL-C by 22%, and doesn’t affect HDL-C after 6 weeks of dietary modification. This may help prevent formation as well as the build up of fat and cholesterol on the arterial wall which is associated with cardiac disorders (e.g. stable angina, myocardial infarction) .
- Arginine intake may control C- Reactive protein in a normal range to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease .
Like hemp seeds, hemp milk is also a good source of omega 3 and omega 6 which are essential unsaturated fatty acids. Consumption of these substances help regulate inflammation in the skin due to UV exposure, aging, or other environmental factors. In addition, they can serve to control oil production, soften dry skin, subdue breakouts, and minimize signs of aging.
Boost brain function
Omega 3 is vital for the brain throughout life, from cognitive development to learning and memory in adults. Brain cells with high levels of omega 3 are thought to have better connections with other cells to support brain functions.
In adults, low levels of DHA, which is an omega 3 fat, have been associated with small brain size, a sign of accelerated brain aging.
How to make hemp milk at home
- ½ cups of hulled hemp seeds
- 3-4 cups of water
- Sea salt
- Sugar or sweetener
- Vanilla extract/cocoa powder for delicious taste
- Add hemp seeds, water, salt and other ingredients to high-speed blender and blend for 1 minute or until the mixture become well-combined
- Add salt, sugar or vanilla if needed
- Strain the mixture with a nut milk bag to make it smoother
- Pour into a sealed container and refrigerate. Will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How to use hemp milk
- Its free of lactose, gluten and a good choice for those followed a vegan diet or avoid cow milk
- Hemp milk can be used with or substituted for cow’s milk
- While rare, hemp milk may trigger allergic reactions with the symptoms of stomach ache, diarrhea, floating. Consider these symptoms when they occur and stop using hemp milk.
- Some brands of hemp milk may add sugar to their products. Patients with diabetes should be careful to drink them.
- Choose the hemp milk product from reputable brands with adequate product information, clear origin of hemp seeds, third-party test no subject of FDA warning letters.
- Homemade hemp milk can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days, however it may be best to consume within first 2-3 days
In summary, hemp milk is made from hemp seed and water. You can create it at home or buy commercial hemp milk at stores or supermarkets.
Hemp milk is a good source of important nutrients, such as essential amino acids, healthy fatty acids, minerals, and oil-soluble vitamins which may protect the cardiovascular system, promote brain and skin health, or help provide enough nutrition for body needs.